If you are a teenager and a student with a lot of studying and coursework to do every day, then making the time for exercises at home may not be an easy task. The Indian education system is quite tough on students in the upper standards and parents too are known to push their children hard during this time. While it is important to get good scores at school or college, it is also necessary that you stay fit and active.
Here are all the things you need to know about how to work out as a teenager and keep yourself as fit as possible.
Why Exercising is So Important for Students?
- Ample Physical Benefits: At this age, teenagers are constantly growing and developing, and getting exercise is crucial for their development. It helps in the growth of strong bones and muscles and helps keep the joints active. It burns fat and builds muscles, which is wonderful news for older teenagers.
- Weight Control: As a student, it is often seen that teenagers start developing too much weight, especially around the abdomen areas. A lack of physical activity coupled with the consumption of high-calorie foods may cause this. Keeping one’s weight under control is what teenage fitness is about. When the weight is under control, students are better able to manage their lives.
- Good Body Image: Another big benefit of having an exercise routine as a young student is that it helps keep up a positive body image. Often students get depressed because they feel that their bodies don’t match the social standards of beauty. This is certainly not a good way of thinking and a good morning exercise for students can certainly help a lot in getting rid of it.
- Better Time Grasping Study Concepts: Students who have a good fitness routine can indeed study better. This is because exercise is not just good for the body, but also good for brain development. When you spend some time every day getting physical exercise, you will see that you can study much better.
- Establishing Good Habits: The habits that you develop as a teenager are going to stay with you for most of your life. That is why a routine of good morning exercises for beginners is such a wonderful thing for you to get started on. For the first few days, it may seem like too much of a chore to do, but soon they will become a part of life.
Exercises for Students at Home
There are many reasons why it may be difficult for you to go out and exercise. That’s okay because you can start a routine by exercising at home as well. Here are some exercises that will be great for teenagers to do at home:
- Air squats
- Elevated pike pushups
It can feel like too much when you start with these exercises, but it depends on how many repetitions you can do. It shouldn’t take more than 20 minutes for you to do these exercises so that is not much time you have to expend on it.
These exercises are usually best done in the mornings after you have had a fruit or a small snack. They will help you keep fit and active all day.
Morning Exercise for Students Outdoors
Sometimes, for students, doing exercises at home is a luxury and you will just not have the time to go outdoors. But if you do, they are going to bring you much more enjoyment and satisfaction. There is nothing like getting up in the morning and doing some exercises for students outdoors. It can be simply going to your terrace, balcony, garden, or any open area to do it.
Here are some things you can do:
- Skipping rope
- Stair climbing
- Riding a cycle
There are many other types of exercises you can do outside your home. You can simply go to a mall and take brisk walks that are great as an activity. It is all about making the effort to be physically active.
Exercise Tips for Teenage Boys
If you are a boy, student life can be a time where you are more concerned about your body and the way people view you. This is completely normal and it is a good way of improving your fitness levels. Here are some tips for exercises for teenage boys:
- Schedule: Schoolwork can take up quite a bit of your time at this age but you must put exercise on your schedule as well. You should be exercising at least 60 minutes every day. While this does not have to be at the gym, you must be active during this time.
- Variety: There is not one single exercise that you need to do. You can also decide to play a sport with friends but it has to be something you do every day. Whether it is football, cricket or some other sport, do something you enjoy. You may also decide to go running with a friend. Bringing some variety to your exercise routine will help you stay motivated.
- Don’t Overtrain: Boys, especially those who are older teenagers tend to start overtraining even when they don’t need it. They can spend hours at the gym trying to build their bodies which may not be a very good idea considering their growth plates may not be fully done. Instead, focus on your fitness and don’t overtrain.
- Eat Well: If you are looking at which age to start gym, then you also need to eat well-balanced meals. So many students forget to eat regular meals but if you have a busy life, then eating well is critical. Stay away from caffeine. Make sure you get good portions of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins in each meal. This way your meals will bring you health and fitness.
Exercise Tips for Teenage Girls
Have Goals: It is easier to stay motivated if you have goals. Many students at this age are so pressurized due to schoolwork that they hardly get time to exercise. But having a goal is motivation enough. If you want to find a goal for exercising, then it can be something like being fit enough to go for a hike with friends or something similar. This keeps your head in the right space to reach your goal.
Make Time: No matter how gruelling your schedule is, making time for exercises for students is necessary. You should try and take out a minimum of 30 minutes to an hour every day for some sort of exercise. Doing it early in the morning will mean that you can do all your activities during the other parts of the day.
Heavy Weights Not Required if Less Than 16: Not lifting heavy weights if you are not yet 16 is crucial. This is because the bones and muscles of the body are still developing and it is never good to lift weights at this age. There is a lot of time you have to start lifting heavy weights but for that, your growth cycle needs to be over.
Eating Smart: It is easy to start eating junk food when you are submerged in coursework. It is also easy to guzzle down aerated drinks whenever you are thirsty. This can be terrible for your health and habits. Instead, eat smart every day. Of course, some foods are more attractive because the taste quotient is high. But don’t forgo your healthy meals at proper meal times. Proteins, fats, and carbohydrates all have a good role to play in your nutrition and you must be getting them in all meals. Try to eat fruits and vegetables every day even if you don’t feel like it.
Exercise in a Group: A great idea for exercises for teens and students at home is to let them exercise in groups. Get a friend or two together at a particular time every day and exercise together. It can be going for a run or biking together. Or you can start exercising at a friend’s home. This is a great way to keep yourself and others motivated.
Drink Water: It is so easy to reach out for a glass of a soft drink when you feel thirsty. It is also easy to go for that cold beverage when the weather is hot. However, it is always best to stick to water and other healthy drinks. Indian ‘sherbets’ are a wonderful way of giving you nutrition without a lot of added sugar. Coconut water is also a great option for hydration.
It is wonderful to get fit and active as a student. The life of a student is a busy one, everyone knows that. With quality time spent with good exercises for students at home, it is possible to be fit enough to take on the world. When you are healthy and have quality positive exercising habits, it is easier to reach your aspirations for yourself. So go out and conquer all that life has to offer!